When it comes to preparing for the IELTS test, mastering grammar is a fundamental aspect of achieving a high score. Study Unifees, located in Dehradun, India, is an IELTS institute that also provides IELTS coaching and PTE, TOEFL, SAT, GRE, and GMAT, while also offering guidance for studying abroad in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. In this extended blog, we will delve into the significance of grammar in the IELTS test, with a specific focus on the “Grammatical Range and Accuracy” band descriptor in both the writing and speaking sections. We will break down what examiners look for in terms of grammatical range and accuracy, detail the skills covered by Study Unifees teachers in grammar classes, and address common grammatical errors made by students. In choosing which IELTS institute you will take IELTS coaching classes at, this is a pivotal factor.
The Importance of Grammar in the IELTS Test:
Grammar plays a pivotal role in the IELTS test, significantly influencing your overall band score. The IELTS exam assesses grammar through the “Grammatical Range and Accuracy” criterion, which is a band descriptor in both the writing and speaking sections. A professional IELTS institute providing IELTS coaching classes should cover this area adequately.
Grammatical Range and Accuracy in Writing:
In the writing section, examiners evaluate your ability to use a variety of grammatical structures effectively. To score well, you must demonstrate a wide range of sentence structures, showcasing your grammatical versatility. Additionally, your sentences should be accurate and free from errors to achieve a high score.
Examiners assess your ability to use:
- Simple sentences
- Compound sentences
- Complex sentences with adverbial clauses
- Complex sentences with adjectival clauses
- Compound-complex sentences
Grammatical Range and Accuracy in Speaking:
In the speaking section, your grammar is evaluated concerning your ability to express ideas clearly and coherently. Examiners look for a range of sentence structures, from simple to complex, to assess your grammatical variety. Like the writing section, accurate usage is essential.
Your speaking performance should include:
- Effective use of simple sentences
- Skillful handling of compound sentences
- Proficiency in using complex sentences with adverbial clauses
- Adequate use of complex sentences with adjectival clauses
- Competence in incorporating compound-complex sentences
Now, let’s delve into the skills that Study Unifees teachers impart during grammar classes to help students excel in the IELTS test.
Improving Sentence Variety:
One thing that makes us the best IELTS institute and our classes the best IELTS coaching classes is our coverage of different sentence types in our IELTS classes. Our dedicated instructors at Study Unifees are committed to enhancing your grammar skills, starting with improving sentence variety. We focus on five key sentence structures:
- Simple Sentences: A simple sentence consists of a single independent clause and expresses a complete thought. Our teachers help you strategically use simple sentences to convey clear and concise ideas. They emphasize the importance of using simple sentences to convey straightforward information effectively.
- Compound Sentences: Compound sentences are formed by combining two independent clauses using coordinating conjunctions (e.g., and, but, or). Our instructors teach students to use compound sentences effectively in both speaking and writing to connect related ideas. They provide guidance on how to use conjunctions to create compound sentences that enhance the flow and coherence of their responses.
- Complex Sentences with Adverbial Clauses: Adverbial clauses add depth and specificity to sentences. Our instructors guide you in incorporating complex sentences with adverbial clauses to provide detailed information and create more complex ideas. They provide examples and exercises that help students master the art of constructing sentences with adverbial clauses for both speaking and writing tasks.
- Complex Sentences with Adjectival Clauses: Adjectival clauses, also known as relative clauses, modify nouns in sentences. We help students learn how to use adjectival clauses to provide descriptive and identifying information about nouns. Our instructors focus on the structure of adjectival clauses and how to incorporate them seamlessly into writing and speaking tasks.
- Compound-Complex Sentences: A compound-complex sentence combines elements of both compound and complex sentences, offering opportunities to convey a variety of ideas. Our teachers teach you to skillfully use compound-complex sentences to handle complex topics. They provide strategies and examples to show how compound-complex sentences can be applied effectively to enrich your responses in both speaking and writing sections.
Additionally, we address common grammatical errors that students encounter in their writing and speaking tasks.
Common Grammatical Errors:
- Subject-Verb Disagreement: Subject-verb disagreement occurs when the subject and verb do not match in number or person, leading to an inconsistency in the sentence. Our instructors provide strategies to ensure subject-verb agreement in both speaking and writing tasks. They explain the rules governing subject-verb agreement and offer practice exercises to reinforce this concept.
- Pronoun Usage and Disagreement: Misuse of pronouns can lead to ambiguity or confusion in sentences. Our classes focus on correct pronoun usage and ways to avoid pronoun disagreement. Instructors provide a detailed breakdown of pronoun types and their appropriate usage, with particular emphasis on using pronouns correctly to reference nouns.
- Preposition Usage: Incorrect preposition usage can impact sentence clarity and coherence. Our classes address preposition rules and common preposition errors to improve your grammatical accuracy. Instructors explain the proper usage of prepositions in different contexts and provide exercises to help students master preposition usage.
- Verb Tense and Form: Consistency in verb tense and form is crucial for effective communication. We teach students to maintain appropriate verb tense and form throughout their responses. Instructors cover verb tense shifts, irregular verbs, and the correct usage of auxiliary verbs, ensuring that students can express ideas clearly and accurately.
- Adjectival Comparative and Superlative Form: Proper usage of comparative and superlative forms of adjectives is essential for making comparisons. Our instructors help students master this aspect of grammar by explaining the rules for forming comparatives and superlatives. They provide examples and exercises to ensure that students can construct clear and grammatically accurate comparisons.
- Conjunction Usage with Emphasis on Correlative Conjunctions: Effective use of conjunctions, especially correlative conjunctions, can enhance the clarity of your writing and speaking. Our classes provide a comprehensive overview of conjunctions and their various functions. Instructors emphasize the correct usage of correlative conjunctions and provide examples to illustrate how they can be used to link ideas and create well-structured sentences.
In your pursuit of IELTS excellence, Study Unifees leaves no stone unturned in helping you succeed. We understand the significance of grammar, especially “Grammatical Range and Accuracy,” and offer comprehensive training to ensure that you excel in both the writing and speaking sections. Our experienced instructors are committed to enhancing your sentence variety and eliminating common grammatical errors. With our guidance, you’ll be well-prepared to achieve your desired band score in the IELTS test.